Archive for ourscouseforum.myfreeforum.org Forum for discussion and debate on Liverpool and the wider community.
 


       ourscouseforum.myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Liverpool and Merseyside History & Nostalgia
Barbie

Jewish Cemetery

I took a wander to Kensington today because I have a passion for the new Polish Deli that opened up there a few weeks ago. I love Polish food....anyway...I went back today and also decided that I would go to the Lidl store that is there. I was glad I made that decision as the Jewish cemetery opposite was open. I've been trying to see inside there for yonks!

I had no idea David Lewis was buried in there, alongside his wife Bertha.

Needless to say I was so happy to have a phone cam on me.....

David Lewis. He founded the department store Lewis's in 1856 and Bon March in 1877




This is Baroness Miriam de Menasce 's grave. 1851-1890. The de Menasce family were very wealthy, they dominated the Jewish community in Egypt. After Joseph died of TB, Miriam returned to Liverpool but she dies in Paris aged just 39. This is why her this structure has Egyptian features.
Barbie

Children's graves.




Barbie

Inside what was the building where the service was held. (it's now a sort of modern made lean to)








Barbie

The entrance.

Barbie

Other prominent people who are buried there are:

rev Prof Jacob Prag
Dr Sigismund Lewis
Charles Mozley
Moses Samuel
Dr Joshua Van oven
Humphrey Hime
David Jackson
John Raphael Isaac
James Braham
Jonas Reis

And if you want to know anything about them google because I'm too lazy to type it all in.... Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Embarassed
Barbie

While I was there, I asked about the one on Green Lane. To their knowledge, there are no plans to do anything to it. It's quite sad how it has just been left like it has.  Sad
MOJO

I first came across that cemetery, by chance, a few years ago, as you could quite easily pass it by, but not knowing what it was, at the time! Since then, the cemetery has acquired a "Friends" organisation, of some type, and it looks a lot tidier, since I was there!



The entrance wall is now painted, whereas previously, it was natural stone, and quite grimy!

MOJO

Barbie, don't know if you'ld be interested, but there is also another "forgotten" jewish cemetery, off Smithdown rd, in Arundel avenue! It's only open on a Sunday, 10 till 4 I think, and there's a pleasant garden where you can sit, and ruminate!





Smile
Lizzie

Excellent pics and info there .....David Lewis was also the founder of my training hospital the David Lewis Northern Hospital
Barbie

MOJO wrote:
Barbie, don't know if you'ld be interested, but there is also another "forgotten" jewish cemetery, off Smithdown rd, in Arundel avenue! It's only open on a Sunday, 10 till 4 I think, and there's a pleasant garden where you can sit, and ruminate!





Smile
Thanks, I had no idea it was there, also someone on facebook told me about yet another one in Walton! I'll have to catch them all up when i am off work in the summer. (Am I weird?)
MOJO

The Rice lane cemetery is somewhere on this map??

Barbie

Thanks Mojo....Errrr...I'll have to find my gigs... Laughing
MOJO

Barbie wrote:
Thanks Mojo....Errrr...I'll have to find my gigs... Laughing


Yeh,I know it hasn't copied very well, but apparently, it's somewhere behind, where the "Dunlop" factory was!

Barbie

Thanks Mojo,  I really did struggle with that. I used to be able to 'see round corners'....whatever happened?  Confused
MOJO

This is a bit clearer, just in case you ever go for a look, though the gates are probably shut, most of the time! It's not somewhere you would pass, incidentally, and I never heard anyone mention it, so I might go for a look around, myself!








Barbie

Thanks Mojo, that is a clear indication of where it is. Just checked  it out on google maps, I see it is called Commonwealth War graves.
The bus passes by there so i might hop off it one day soon and go have a nosey! Cheers!
Here it is from the air....


tonydw

Re: Jewish Cemetery

Barbie wrote:
I took a wander to Kensington today because I have a passion for the new Polish Deli that opened up there a few weeks ago. I love Polish food....anyway...I went back today and also decided that I would go to the Lidl store that is there. I was glad I made that decision as the Jewish cemetery opposite was open. I've been trying to see inside there for yonks!

I had no idea David Lewis was buried in there, alongside his wife Bertha.

Needless to say I was so happy to have a phone cam on me.....

David Lewis. He founded the department store Lewis's in 1856 and Bon March in 1877




This is Baroness Miriam de Menasce 's grave. 1851-1890. The de Menasce family were very wealthy, they dominated the Jewish community in Egypt. After Joseph died of TB, Miriam returned to Liverpool but she dies in Paris aged just 39. This is why her this structure has Egyptian features.


I remember an old Jewish Cemetery in Edge Lane, opposite Lucas's factory.
It was a forlorn place hidden behind a brick wall, the entrance was a single iron gate; always locked.
I often stopped, after cycling from a Sunday ride, to let those interred know  they were not forgotten.
They have probably all reincarnated to a higher plane by now; Liverpool owes so much to its Jews, with the Irish, they helped make the city great!
Barbie

I think the Welsh had a big hand in it too Tony! Cool

       ourscouseforum.myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Liverpool and Merseyside History & Nostalgia
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum