Archive for ourscouseforum.myfreeforum.org Forum for discussion and debate on Liverpool and the wider community.
 


       ourscouseforum.myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Photographs
Barbie

Woolton Court

I took these photos with my god awfull phone camera last week, but I just wondered if anyone had any history of the place. In all honesty, it was the first time I saw it, well, even knew of it actually.  Embarassed
brainbox

Nice photo of a really nice property.
Don't know  any history of it but if you have a spare 170 grand you may be in time to still snap it up barbie....get down there tomorrow

Laughing


www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-32225276.html
Barbie

Shocked  
I tried to find the history but all I was getting was estage agents. I was more interested to know who'd been up before a judge in there!
brainbox

Sorry about that Barbie, i was thinking the word court was just a description of the development  ...i.e. Mercury Court And Silkhouse Court , etc.....Was it actually used as a Court House , as in Criminals....Wow ! if so then it would be interesting to know  who was in it and what they had done in order to be in there.
Barbie

brainbox wrote:
Sorry about that Barbie, i was thinking the word court was just a description of the development  ...i.e. Mercury Court And Silkhouse Court , etc.....Was it actually used as a Court House , as in Criminals....Wow ! if so then it would be interesting to know  who was in it and what they had done in order to be in there.

Well, you know I'm blonde and also getting on a bit......Errrm, I made an assumption.....it's why I can't find the history innit?  Confused  Rolling Eyes
Dang!
MOJO

You are right Barbie,it was a court house,but I can't find any details yet!
Barbie

MOJO wrote:
You are right Barbie,it was a court house,but I can't find any details yet!
I am?  Shocked  Wow, well, it looked amazing close up, my photos are poor cos they off my phone.

The doorway.
MOJO

All I've been able to find is,that there is a pub in Quarry St. called the "County Court",possibly named after the court,itself!
brainbox

Here's an interesting notice from 1887,about its former Proceedings....


sorry about the size ..' zoom in ' is  necessary .


 





Barbie

Stole a hen and 5 chickens worth 7shillings. Was probably starving and needed to.
Scousemouse

I do have its history somewere i will dig it out, mean while i can tell you it was where the county sesions were heard well before woolton joined Liverpool.
The court house pub which i think bb mentioned has hundreds of miniture paintings and drawrings,of judges and criminals from the cases heard there
Lots of them hang round the bar the manager changes them often.
While we  are in woolton you wiil find lots of info about woolton and other districts on this site
http://www.allertonoak.com/merseySights/SouthLiverpoolWO.html
Barbie

Thanks mousey!  Cool
Scousemouse

Still trying to find my info on woolton court.
I do know it incorperates the old police cell and that is haunted by a police sargent in 1890s uniform  Shocked
Barbie

It does incorprate the police cell, and the ghost story sounds amazing.
Scousemouse

A bit more about him


The Sarge

Location: Liverpool - Ambulance training centre, Quarry Street, Woolton
Type: Haunting Manifestation
Date / Time: 1974
Further Comments: For many years the building was reputedly haunted by an entity known as 'The Sarge' - a former policeman who was killed when the wheel of his patrol wagon struck a bollard and he was thrown to the ground. Ambulance crews reported phantom footsteps, breaking windows and doors which unlocked and opened themselves.
Barbie

Thanks Scousemouse. Very interesting, would love to experience it.
Scousemouse

Ekkkkk Shocked
Barbie

At the risk of sounding like a nutter....It wouldn't be my first experience of  a ghost.  Cool
Scousemouse

Barbie wrote:
At the risk of sounding like a nutter....It wouldn't be my first experience of  a ghost.  Cool

OMG where is the garlic or is that for Other super nat   Question
Barbie

Scousemouse wrote:
Barbie wrote:
At the risk of sounding like a nutter....It wouldn't be my first experience of  a ghost.  Cool

OMG where is the garlic or is that for Other super nat   Question

Haha, that's for vampires, I've not encountered one of them.
Yet!  Razz
brainbox

great info Scousemouse I was told it was also the Local Fire Station too, Have you any info on that please.
MOJO

Barbie wrote:
Scousemouse wrote:
Barbie wrote:
At the risk of sounding like a nutter....It wouldn't be my first experience of  a ghost.  Cool

OMG where is the garlic or is that for Other super nat   Question

Haha, that's for vampires, I've not encountered one of them.
Yet!  Razz


...better watch out,it's halloween! Shocked  Twisted Evil
Barbie

Fangs for reminding me....
Scousemouse

brainbox wrote:
great info Scousemouse I was told it was also the Local Fire Station too, Have you any info on that please.

BB the fire station was next to the baths in Q St between the years of 1907- 1913 this web site will tell you more well a little bit more
http://www.firestations.org.uk/St...p;lat=53.373666&lon=-2.869909
Scousemouse

Scousemouse wrote:
brainbox wrote:
great info Scousemouse I was told it was also the Local Fire Station too, Have you any info on that please.

BB the fire station was next to the baths in Q St between the years of 1907- 1913 this web site will tell you more well a little bit more
http://www.firestations.org.uk/St...p;lat=53.373666&lon=-2.869909

That sites main page will let you search for any fire station in the uk
http://www.firestations.org.uk/Intro_Page.php
brainbox

Thanks for that info Scousemouse and the Web address link  is very useful, and definitley one to save, Ta !
kafur

Quarry court

Well.. I can personally attest that this building IS haunted for I have seen the manifestations.

In the 1970s I was training to be an Ambulance man and we were ALL aware of the goings on in Quarry St.

Theres a condemned cell we kept gasses in, and it opens onto the yard where the rope was hanging above you to despatch you.

From the cells a stone staircase went up to the court room where the judge would try them.

The stories are true, it is truly haunted without doubt. It still spooks me as I see these pictures 45 years later!
Barbie

Re: Quarry court

kafur wrote:
Well.. I can personally attest that this building IS haunted for I have seen the manifestations.

In the 1970s I was training to be an Ambulance man and we were ALL aware of the goings on in Quarry St.

Theres a condemned cell we kept gasses in, and it opens onto the yard where the rope was hanging above you to despatch you.

From the cells a stone staircase went up to the court room where the judge would try them.

The stories are true, it is truly haunted without doubt. It still spooks me as I see these pictures 45 years later!
Hi kafur,q57  ....interesting post there. Would you care to to tell us more on the manifestations?
brainbox

Oh Heck Kafur. Thanks for those personal memories , and welcome in.
This Court House actually performed Judicial Hangings then ?
Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez. If thats true. then its no wonder its haunted
Shocked
How long did you work there and what sort of sightings were there  during your time in the 1970s
kafur

brainbox wrote:
Oh Heck Kafur. Thanks for those personal memories , and welcome in.
This Court House actually performed Judicial Hangings then ?
Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez. If thats true. then its no wonder its haunted
Shocked
How long did you work there and what sort of sightings were there  during your time in the 1970s

we trained there two days a week.. this Police Court actually was the ONLY one to put a man to death in the yard by driving a stake through his heart too.
We have seen huge heavy court room doors handles turn and a wind blow through the room..I mean these doors are oak, eight feet high and just as wide!
Lots of winds and sounds of footsteps coming up the steps from the cells to the court where we were training.
Four of us looked at the steps once and a guy in an old fashioned police uniform but with a flat "pill box" hat was looking at us....we moved towards it and he just turned and walked back down... and the door at the bottome was padlocked... that certainly was a ghost.
Lots of ambulance crews wouldn't go into the station at night, they sat in the ambulance with the radio on for calls instead.
brainbox

Shocked  Shocked  Shocked
Thanks for all that info, it appears to have a tremendous Paranormal air about it

You say..'  we trained there two days a week.. this Police Court actually was the ONLY one to put a man to death in the yard by driving a stake through his heart too. '....

Good God  Kafur, ...I've never heard of anything like that happening , other than Medieval times.  Why was that method used..

Isn't it in Apartments now too.. Yikes !
MOJO

"stake through the heart".......what a load of tripe!!  Razz
Scousemouse

Err not exactly true here is some history
http://liverpoolcitypolice.co.uk/#/woolton-police-station/4557053826
kafur

MOJO wrote:
"stake through the heart".......what a load of tripe!!  Razz
I can assure you Sir, that the "Stake through the heart" issue is a true one. We all felt sick at learning this method, and it was used only once. The yard where the hangings took place had changes in the earth where the four pillars had previously been. Furthermore I suggest that you come and see for yourself before poo pooing another person who is only sharing what he (and many others) have learned.
kafur

brainbox wrote:
Shocked  Shocked  Shocked
Thanks for all that info, it appears to have a tremendous Paranormal air about it

You say..'  we trained there two days a week.. this Police Court actually was the ONLY one to put a man to death in the yard by driving a stake through his heart too. '....

Good God  Kafur, ...I've never heard of anything like that happening , other than Medieval times.  Why was that method used..

Isn't it in Apartments now too.. Yikes !
We didn't know why this method was used, but it was..it was sickening to learn of it as you can imagine, and I know some will call me a liar, well that's fine.
brainbox

I'm interested in all such stories from past times Kafur.  
I enjoyed your recollections, and keen to hear more.

good link by the way from Scousemouse, it reinforces the Spooky ghostly reputation of the building
Scousemouse

kafur wrote:
MOJO wrote:
"stake through the heart".......what a load of tripe!!  Razz
I can assure you Sir, that the "Stake through the heart" issue is a true one. We all felt sick at learning this method, and it was used only once. The yard where the hangings took place had changes in the earth where the four pillars had previously been. Furthermore I suggest that you come and see for yourself before poo pooing another person who is only sharing what he (and many others) have learned.

i am not saying that you are telling porkies , just that i live very close by,have carried out quite a bit of research  on the court house and the associated pub but have never found anything regarding the stake through the heart .
Could be that it was carried out illegally in which case there would be Scant recored of it ,i am sorry if i offended you as it was not ment in that way  SM
Scousemouse

kafur wrote:
MOJO wrote:
"stake through the heart".......what a load of tripe!!  Razz
I can assure you Sir, that the "Stake through the heart" issue is a true one. We all felt sick at learning this method, and it was used only once. The yard where the hangings took place had changes in the earth where the four pillars had previously been. Furthermore I suggest that you come and see for yourself before poo pooing another person who is only sharing what he (and many others) have learned.

doyou have any idea what year or period this was used could it have been some kind of whitch trial?
I am very interested to find out so i can update its history
kafur

Scousemouse wrote:
kafur wrote:
MOJO wrote:
"stake through the heart".......what a load of tripe!!  Razz
I can assure you Sir, that the "Stake through the heart" issue is a true one. We all felt sick at learning this method, and it was used only once. The yard where the hangings took place had changes in the earth where the four pillars had previously been. Furthermore I suggest that you come and see for yourself before poo pooing another person who is only sharing what he (and many others) have learned.

doyou have any idea what year or period this was used could it have been some kind of whitch trial?
I am very interested to find out so i can update its history

Well, it could well have been a witch matter. We were all eighteen and nineteen, and im 64 now so have forgotten a lot of the story. All I can say is that Woolton Village was very much a "self contained" place and the court house/ police station was the law in those days.

The point is that these things were very well known throughout the ambulance service  in the 60s.... it was believed that the haunting was real because there had been so many witnesses to it.
Alice

Hi Kafur, welcome to the forum.  I look forward to hearing more of your stories!
kafur

Alice wrote:
Hi Kafur, welcome to the forum.  I look forward to hearing more of your stories!
Thanks Alice... In fact I do know one or two more, and I shall relate them at length WOOOOOO! Shocked
Jan

I likes spooooooky story ,shall we go there ???,, hahahaha mojo so funny  Laughing  Laughing

Jan x

       ourscouseforum.myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Photographs
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum